- Apply online, using the Graduate School’s interactive form.
- Supporting materials must be submitted electronically, using the upload section near the bottom of the application. Acceptable formats include PDF, MS Word .doc or .docx, Text, HTML, jpeg or other standard image file.
- The deadline for applications to the MA and PhD program is January 1.
- Since we will begin processing applications immediately, meeting the deadline is especially important if you wish to be considered for the enhanced fellowships offered through the Graduate School and the College of Arts and Sciences.
- For international applicants, a required International Applicant Financial Form
All applications must include the following:
- Completed application form.
- Electronic copies of transcripts of all previous undergraduate or graduate coursework. Only admitted applicants will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation, submitted electronically. Once you submit your application for final review, your professors will receive an automated email requesting that they upload their recommendation letter.
- Results of the GRE general aptitude test (institution code 2925, department code 2902). Scores should not be more than two years old.
- A personal statement of two to three double-spaced typed pages, submitted electronically.
- A substantial sample (15-25 pages) of a critical or interpretative essay, submitted electronically.
- International applicants must also include:
- International Applicant Financial Statement. This is required for all International Students.
- Results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) for international applicants whose native language is not English (institution code 2925, department code 28).
- For more information, visit our admissions page for international applicants.